Sustainable Holiday Shopping
Still searching for the perfect holiday gifts for friends or family? Are you worried about keeping your shopping sustainable (not only financially, but also environmentally)? Filled with simple suggestions, this post should help quell that anxiety! In this article, we will tackle ways in which you can pass along gifts to your loved ones that are both meaningful and sustainable.
From excessive packaging and gift wrap to non-reusable materials, superfluous consumption is at an all-time high during the holiday season. Here are some traps to watch out for and avoid:
- Packaging: Whether you are shipping goods across the country or picking up a toy from a local store, each purchase entails bags, bubble wrap, and more. Instead, bring your own reusable bags while shopping. If you are ordering online, try to group your items into as few shipments as possible.
- Parking: Steer clear of the shopping mall at peak hours! In the time that your car spends idling as you look for a parking space, think about how much carbon dioxide you could save by coming at a different time. If possible, walk to your nearest shopping plaza, carpool, or utilize public transportation.
- Gift wrapping: Although the extra bows and fancy ribbon may look festive, it all piles up! If you are planning to consume rolls of giftwrap, try to salvage any large sections and reuse them next year. If you’re already ahead of the game, reuse last year’s papers! Many companies also offer options for 100% recycled wrapping paper.
Gifts can come in all shapes and sizes, and some may be more environment-friendly! And now, for some super-sustainable ideas:
- Give the gift of time! These “time-less” gifts will bring joy to a loved one’s face, but, unlike the trendiest toy, they won’t end up in a landfill. Consider: tickets to a play, concert or movie, lessons for dance or cooking
- Consumable gifts like coffee or baked goods
- Natural gifts, such as dried flowers, gourds, or potted plants make for great home decorations that someone will surely enjoy
- Do-it-yourself gifts: Try to gather materials that you have on hand to create unique presents
We at WegoWise hope you continue to have a great holiday season and consider these sustainable ideas as you celebrate!